Patient Services Manager
Brackley Medical Centre is looking for a capable, efficient and highly motivated Patient Services Manager to join our busy practice to provide high quality, safe and personalised care in a forward thinking GP practice. We have a great opportunity for the right person to develop and shape the Patient Services Team as our surgery introduces new processes and systems in line with NHS England requirements. This could be a leadership opportunity for an experienced receptionist or care navigator who is looking for the next step in their career.
Main duties of the job
The Patient Services Manager will apply their knowledge and experience to lead the Receptionists, Patient Navigators and Medicines Management teams to ensure that we provide a responsive and caring service for our patients and carers. They will be responsible for all aspects of planning and training for their team, including rotas, HR and training.
They will also be required to provide all aspects of general leadership and management alongside the GP partners and management team to provide good quality patient care.
We are a semi-rural GP teaching practice in Brackley, with a dedicated team of 6 partners, 5 salaried GP’s in addition to an experienced Nursing Team and separate Urgent Care Unit for a 16400 patient population. As part of the Brackley & Towcester PCN we have a wide range of additional practitioners - First Contact Physios, Clinical Pharmacists, Health & Wellbeing Coaches, Social Prescribers, Mental Health Practitioner and Care Co-ordinators and an excellent Frailty team.
We are a high achieving practice year on year for QOF and achieved an overall rating of Good in our last CQC inspection in 2022 with a rating of outstanding for Responsiveness.
Our surgery is open from 0800-1830 hrs Monday to Friday with GPEA 1830-2000 hrs Monday and Tuesday and 0815-1215 hrs on Saturdays.
Our core values are that we are committed to providing high quality care to all users of our services. We aim to be considerate and responsive and provide an uplifting work environment. In 2020 we moved to a purpose built location providing first class clinical rooms with excellent staff facilities, cafe and free parking.
• Provide leadership and act as a role model for all Patient Services staff; demonstrating and promoting the standards expected by the practice, supporting, motivating and promoting good staff relations.
• Overseeing the patient services provided by the practice, ensuring staff achieve their primary responsibilities.
• Line management of all patient services staff, supporting staff development, providing guidance and direction, ensuring staff are up to date with mandatory training.
• Management of clinics on a daily basis ensuring appointments are booked appropriately, working with the Rota Administrator to identify any flaws in capacity and look for methods to rectify these issues.
• Responsible for the efficient operation of the reception team, monitoring length and quality of patient interactions and identify improvement and coaching opportunities.
• Review and update all patient services procedures and communicate as required.
• Ensure the team understand and adhere to all practice Policies and Standards and staff are aware of all H&S, ED&I and GDPR.
• Lead change in line with NHS England/ICB/CQC and practice requirements.
• Planning and production of all patient services staff rotas to ensure adequate levels are adhered taking into account leave and training; including GPEA hours.
• Provide exceptional customer service, oversee customer enquiries and respond to all non-clinical complaints.
• Continually assess and evaluate systems and processes, recommending changes and improvements to the Practice Business Manager as appropriate.
• Manage all aspects of reception in relation to a multi-occupied building (Community Hospital, external Occupational Health, NHFT Physiotherapy and Administrative Teams and Bridgewater Suite clients).
• Responsible for all aspects of line management, supporting staff development, providing guidance and direction, ensuring staff are up to date with mandatory training and all aspects of HR including completion of annual appraisals and training needs analysis.
• Manage all short notice clinician absence, cancelling or rearranging appointments using the most effective and agreed processes.
• Fire Marshal.
• Maintain a clean and organised office environment.
• Induction and training of all new Patient Services staff to agreed standards.
• To liaise with and assist the Practice Business Manager as and when required.
• May be required to cover roles in the Patient Services Team if a shortage of staff.
• Completing annual staff appraisals.
GCSE English (C or above) and at least three others (or equivalent qualification)
Leadership and/or Management qualification
Management or leadership experience
Confident and capable in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook and the use of clinical systems (ideally SystmOne)
Customer service (face to face and telephone) experience
Reception and/or care navigation experience within general practice or healthcare setting
Positive experience of leading teams through change